Sunday, June 28, 2009

Not Coffee

I'm not sure how I feel about including this cafe - I've only had one dish, though on the day I was there, the other vego choices included a pumpkin soup, a zucchini slice, and a vegetarian bap (Soft white bread is so ubiquitous these days, it really frustrates me, it's not just this cafe that attracts my ire over this. There are so many fantastic breads out there - for goodness sakes, be bold restauranteurs and give multigrain and sour dough a whirl!) I'm not sure if I want/need to be comprehensive in this blog - some restaurants I've been to I'm holding off on writing up until I've been there more times and had more of their selection of dishes. So think of this posting as a snippet, a little possibility, rather than a 'set in stone' assessment of the restaurant's menu (not that any of my other posts aim to that either!)

I had a vegetable and haloumi burger. But Uncle Albert's veg burger, (see post below) really raised the bar in the burger stakes. This burger was a toasted white roll, airy and nothing-y, which is why I don't like white bread generally, filled with roasted veges, mainly pumpkin and some zucchini, with reasonable flavour (though I would have liked there to be more caramelisation on the veg, they were a bit steamy, rather than browned) and some thin slices of melted haloumi cheese - it also would have been better with thicker slices of cheese. The burger came with a huge (and I mean huge!) serve of french fries, and a very nicely dressed salad. It's a big meal, and was reasonably priced, the cafe is light and airy, though the music was kind of loud, and the service was good. The cafe is also an art space, so there is some interesting art here too. As a choice for veg meals on Rundle Street (though Vego and Loving It will always win out here!) this is not a bad option. If you can't get to Albert's, but you need a burger, and you're with friends who don't want to go to a full vege restaurant, then head on in. My friend Kirrilly had the baked beans and egg on toast which was good - not vego though.


No comments:

Post a Comment