Friday, June 19, 2009

Uncle Albert's Cafe, Norwood

Despite its name (which, I wrongly thought, promised a menu heavily centred on quiche lorraine and 'salad' with iceberg lettuce and partly green tomatoes kept in the fridge), this cafe has the best vegie burger outside of a vegetarian restaurant! (Nor does it feature quiche lorraine - the non-veg menu is really good, and I hear the chicken burger is excellent, should you enjoy dead animal flesh!) I found this place while on my way to Vego to Go in the Norwood Mall, which as it turns out is closed on a Sunday. The day was freezing, we were starving, saw the burger on the menu outside, and heaps of people warm and cosy inside, so went in. I'm glad we did. The burger has a crunchy, crusty, very chickpea and vegetable patty (not heavy on the flour, or the frozen peas, which is so often the case) with really fresh mixed salad leaves (no shredded ice berg in sight), tasty thick slices of a good ripe tomato, thickly grated carrot, home made mayonnaise and pesto on a white roll. As a rule, I'm not a fan of white bread, so my only change, if I had to make one, would be to wholemeal bread, but this white roll was so good, lovely soft and floury, I secretly loved it!

Their other vego options are a pumpkin cannelloni and a frittata. I went back here a couple of days ago, but the lure of the burger was too strong. So, I can't tell you how worthwhile these others are.

You can find Uncle Albert's in the Norwood Mall off The Parade. Ph: 08 8332 2565

No comments:

Post a Comment